Friday, September 9, 2011

The Life of a Turtle


I heard the waves crashing, I struggling to get out of my shell but when I saw the first bit of sunlight I was encouraged to keep going slowly but surely I was out my shell I had had broken free at last .Where ever I was though I was still cramped and had no space, I could feel the slimy texture beneath me. Even though I did not know where I was I could still undergo the warmth of the sun that was beating down. Everything was great I was introduced into in life and it was breath taking. But in a Quick second I could only hear screaming and shouting. Things where being scrambled and shook I was frightened and I could not help but think that we were in danger. My siblings and I had to leave, but it felt like days trying to make my way to the water my flippers started to cramp though I could not stop. I could hear my siblings yelling for help but I had no energy to go back. Then my atmosphere changed, instead of the humid and sticky air that I was used to, I now felt the cool, wet water. I was in the salty ocean, I made it.

Hello my name is Squirt, I am a leatherback Sea Turtle and I was born and raised in the ocean Blue .But really I was born by on the south side of Bongo lagoon it’s a funny name but really a lot of sea Turtles like me were born there. The lagoon is very warm and calm (which if it cold would die) it is actually by the Gulf of Mexico. A lot of my family though was born by coastal waters, bays, lagoons, and brackish waters.

Now that I told you where I live and what my name is, I should tell you about myself. I am 23 years old but let me tell you ,I love to act foolish, and to turtles that’s young because we turtles can live up to 100 and even 200.(( Let me tell you cool story, I actually meet the oldest turtle before he passed away his from India and he lived to be 250 years ). I have never met my mom or dad which is sad but not many turtles at all have seen there parents. We never see them because they leave at birth and we have to hatch. The scary thing is, is that I was suppose to have 203 siblings but I was one of five that actually made it to the ocean safely. If you feel sad about my other siblings don’t, this happens almost every season to turtles that’s why they have so many eggs I just wish that the predator wouldn’t have picked our hole to eat from. I have met my other siblings thought let me tell you their names. I have 3 brothers’ and 2 sisters their names are Crush, Speedy, Ruffter, Pacifica, Brezz, and then me Squirt. I am actually in Secollage (sea collage) right now, and tomorrow we are going to a famous shipwreck sight which turtles like me love they gather around places like that. Even some shipwreck places are not public so some turtles live there.

Now for the fun part, fun facts about me and my type of turtles. So you know how fish like to swim ,well so do we. I call Sea turtles speed racers because we can swim up to 1300 miles per day that’s a ton, but how we do this are by swimming fast. Another thing that helps us swim so fast is the fact that we have a shell as hard like a rock. Most of the time a turtles shell is smooth so the water will just glide off of them, but other times a shell can be ruff or edgy. Unlike like fish, we have to take a breath above water, but we can last up to 5 hours, so still a long time. I would love to keep taking but I got to swim so thanks for listen and wish me luck at Secollege and if you are ever swimming bye make sure to say hi.


3 comments:

  1. OMG!!! Did u add on??? I love it!! Cute pic...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really a fun writing piece, and says a good deal about who you are as a writer at this point of the year. I totally look forward to our working together, and challenging you to grow as a student, and person. Thanks for being my student.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really interesting piece. You researched the topic and but it into a creative story. The voice in the story is very good. You started in a sort of fighting place for the main character. Great Job!!!

    ReplyDelete